I recently got back from the big apple New York. Quite the experience, lots of cars, lots of people, and lots to do. I made my way in a day before my 10k Championship race for my club team. The race took place on Randall Island just outside of Manhattan kinda near La Guardia airport. The track was amazing, laying on an island surrounded by high rises and city lights. The track overlooks Manhattan on the back stretch and water flowing under the RFK bridge can be soon clearly. To top it off the track featured a mondo surface, which for non tracksters, mondo is the best stuff to run on, fast and very hard. Lots of records usually occur on mondo track surfaces. Most of the early parts of the race I sat in last place. After a couple miles I slowly moved up to the middle of the pack. Stayed there a while, then after the annoying jabs and spikes nicking my legs I decided to move up to the front pack. Around the 5k mark a runner from the Central Park Club pushed the pace and it was here the race finally got started. Many of the guys in the lead pack had dropped off. With less than 5k remaining, 4 guys stood in contention. I wanted the meet record, which was held by a guy in the race who actually was right behind me 5k to around 7.5k. With 2k left I was in the lead and pushing towards the record. I was a bit off pace and I needed about a 4:30 low last mile to get it. A bit worried at this point as a very fast miler was on my butt late in the race. I took a chance and let him hang on me while I saved up for what I knew would be a painful last 600 meters.
We hit 800 meters to go close, as soon as we hit 600 to go I took off and I didn't look back. By the time we hit the bell lap I knew I had the win and at that point I just wanted to maintain my effort to get the record. I ended breaking the meet record by a slight 3 seconds. I was a bit surprised I got the record being that the first few laps were nothing more than pedestrian in pace with laps over 80 seconds! After the race a realization kicked in. If I look back on the past 3 weeks I have accomplished some great feats or at least I think so (:
Two weeks ago I won the National Mountain Running Championship as well as the North American and Central American Championship while also setting a course record. The following week I came out in a local race that I had done once before in High School and again, won and break the course record. Yesterday, at the Club Track and Field National Championships I won and broke the course record by 3 seconds. So, in total, 3 records and two National Championships!
I was able to check out New York a little before I left. I ran across the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge, which was pretty scary as I'm afraid of bridges!!! You couldn't help but notice the beautiful views from the tower high building. You could see the Brooklyn bridge as well as the notorious Empire State Building in the distance. Of course I couldn't leave New York without trying their famous Pizza. I gotta say, I was impressed. I think Chicago may have to take the back seat to New York when it comes to Pizza. I found it funny that everyone in New York loves to remind you that Pizza in America was first seen in New York. They love to say how everything in New York is the best and for the most part, when it comes to food, they may have a point.
Here is a little info on the championship along with some results=>
http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUID=USATF_2009_07_09_14_13_46
http://www.usatf.org/events/2009/USATFClubTFChampionships/results.asp
Here is the summary for post championship awards. You will see me on there mentioned for breaking the meet record (Not a national record...yet!) I made sure I didn't break it by too much so that I can come break it again in the future hahaha:
http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUID=USATF_2009_07_13_07_00_57
1 comment:
Sounds like an experience. Hard work pays off and you are the spokes person for that. Keep up the good work and dont forget about how you got to where you are today.
Post a Comment