For many years as a professional endurance athlete I have been able to get away with poor hydration habits. Once I started to compete in races over 6,000 feet of altitude and ultra marathons I found out... quickly, that hydration could be the difference (And usually IS) between finishing a race strong or crumbling to a limp as you near the finish. To me, it doesn't matter if I win or lose, I do not want to finish a competition with an upset stomach, cramps, feeling dizzy nor do I want to take longer than necessary to recover from a hard effort. I completed my first 2 Ultra marathons feeling horrendous. Undoubtedly dehydrated and although I won, I felt I didn't run to my ability. In my next Ultra, I finally began to take into account that not only did I need to take in more fluids, but I needed to take in the "right kinds of fluids". I had competed in some Skyraces where the average altitude covered hovered somewhere between 6,000 and 10,000 feet. At altitude runners tend to urinate and exhale more, losing fluid with every breath. Most of my races at altitude went about average until I discovered the right kind of hydration.
![]() |
| Courtesy of SOS |
A friend mentioned to me that I needed a specific ratio of water to electrolytes in order to replenish the nutrients lost while sweating during competition/training. At the time I started with Nuun and found them to be quite tasty. The problem I found with them after trying them out on an extremely hot day was that they did not provide enough sodium for my liking. During really intense efforts in extreme heat the body requires sodium to aid the body in retaining liquid for extended periods of hydration. I then found what I became a lifetime lover of...SOS Rehydrate!!! Now, what I know personally and also about many runners is "The easier, the better".
What I mean is that when we runners are determining pre race meals and during competition nutrition, its less stress if we don't have to put too much time and effort into creating or looking for the right mixture of ingredients. For me, Gatorade is a great tasting drink and for most, it works well. However, when its hot and you are racing at altitude your body needs more sodium, potassium, magnesium, chloride, and sugar than most drinks you find on the shelf at your local convenient store. If you are complex and want to make life difficult, then go ahead and find that mixture of ingredients and add it to your Gatorade. You will certainly end up wasting time and $$$. Or, be like and take the easy route. Go with SOS as they already have the "right mix of ingredients your body needs" (SOS Rehydrate).
![]() |
| Very convenient size when you need to pack light for long days on the trails |
From my experience as an athlete competing in hot weather, altitude and ultra marathon distance events I have gathered some easy tips that I'd like to share with my fellow runners. They are simple and easy, thus you can prepare for your event with less stress and more confidence!
Tips & Tricks
1. Test out any and every product that you use pre/during/post race. If there is a specific hydration method you have that you feel will work, test it out at home first so that you can narrow down what exact changes you need to make to perfect your hydration for race day. 2. Many athletes and coaches believe that protein is vital within 20mins post race. This is true. However, hydration may be even more vital. After a hard effort your body is not operating at optimal levels. Your kidneys are upset with you, your lungs are fatigued along with your lactic acid filled legs. Hydrating post race with 16-24 ounces within 30 mins post-race will allow the body to filter out some of that lactic, lay the foundation for transferring nutrients of your post-race meal, and speed up the recovery process.
3. Remember, there is a mixture necessary for the body to operate at optimal levels during endurance athletics. When choosing your hydration methods choose a product that reaps a hearty supply of sodium, potassium, magnesium, chloride, and sugars.




No comments:
Post a Comment