Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Feature Video by Ian M. "Joe Gray, Trail Climbs Sharply"

Here is a film produced by Ian MacLellan covering my thoughts on Mountain Running and what it means to me to represent my country at the World Championships as well as some great video coverage of the USA National Mountain Running Championships this year.

Link to video: http://vimeo.com/72356075\

Next up, I will be facing some stiff international mountain runners in the Outdoor Trophy in Austria. The teams are comprised of 4 athletes each. A mountain runner (Me), passes to a paraglider, who then passes to either a mountain biker or a white water rafter. Obviously I haven't figured out all the details quite yet. Its been a tough week of training. Explored some new areas like the trails in and around Leukerbad, Switzerland....
 
 
 
I was also able to get in a good workout at the Glacier 3000 race in Gstaad, Switzerland. I had never been to the Western Bernese Alps so this race was a great experience. Even better to come away with a win after a very long week of training. I was not sure I would be able to finish strong as my legs were pretty tired at the start. With about 4k left you get some nasty steep climbs and to top it off you ascend a glacier as you approach the finish. Needless to say I slept like a baby that night back in Crans as well as on my long train ride back to the Valais.
 
Gear
My Julbo sunglasses came in handy as we ran across Tsanfleuron Glacier. The sun bounced off of the glacier to relay a blinding reflection so sunglasses were a clutch decision. I chose the SCOTT Race Rockers for this occasion as the race had some really fast sections near the base of Scex Rouge. The Race Rockers also provided great traction for the large boulders at the peak so even with tired legs I was able to stick to the rocks and bounce up the slopes...slowly by that point. The post-race celebrations were amazing as most European races usually are. Meat, Cheese, Pasta, a runners best friends!
 



Sieger!


 
 
 
 
 
Goodbye Switzerland, Hello Austria! ~French => German~


No comments: