Monday, July 22, 2013

NATIONAL CHAMP 2013



The smoke has settled after a long fought battle with the top USA, Canadian, and Mexican Mountain runners who took part in the North American and Central American Mountain Running Championships which ran in conjunction with the USA National Mountain Running Championships. This year was highly anticipated and the clear favorite was up in the air as there were some promising newcomers who had top credentials. The newcomers did not disappoint nor did the veterans including myself. The winner was not decided until the final 250 meters.

Before I get into the race I think its very important to thank and give mention to a group of individuals who have always displayed selfless behavior and put the athletes before themselves: Nancy Hobbs, Bill Roe, Rich Bolt and most of all the race director of this crazy dual race experience Paul Kirsch. These people are such a gift to the sport of distance running. The work they put in behind closed doors may not be seen by many but benefit the whole and I for one consider myself very very very thankful to have come across them in my life.

 
Race
Race day went as usual. I knew the course would get crazy so I packed my favorite race shoe perfect for the muddy wet conditions I predicted that morning. The SCOTT Kinabalu has an awesome light and flexible forefoot plate that protects from all the nasty roots and sharp rocks I knew we would come across. So, coming into the race I had even more confidence that I had come in with the right footwear. All I needed was to feel great during the jarring effort ahead. After a nice ride to the starting area and a lift up to the start line...yeah that's right a lift "up" to the starting line. This year the Championship in Poland has changed the game straying away from the usual up/down format for the Championship, replaced it with a downhill and uphill finish.
Courtesy of Paul K.
Obviously this changed tactics and made for a very interesting and competitive venture. From the gun I was able to do as I planned and make the race honest with a hard effort. However, my attempt was quickly thwarted as 3 other athletes including 2011 defending US Champion went by me. I knew we were all in for a death march and a very painful ending. Sure enough I found myself battling to stay in the top 4 after the first descent and everyone seemed to be climbing pretty strong. By the end of the 2nd lap I made a very decisive move I "thought" would lead to certain victory as I maintained my gap all the way to the bottom of the last lap. However, after looking back and feeling comfortable about my tactics for the finish, one guy slipped my eyes.

I passed a fella in a yellow jersey I was lapping. A few moments later I noticed a guy in yellow coming back to me. I thought "why is this guy running so fast after being lapped?" Then once he passed me near the end of the race I realized he was hurting and moving way to fast to be a lapped runner and found out it was one of the newcomers. So, here I was, my dream almost faded to dark and reality of losing after coming so far. I became extremely angry that I had such a lead and worked so hard to get passed so late that I decided I CAN NOT lose.
 
That's all it took and I was able to surge ahead and put nearly 7 seconds on 2nd place before being able to relax and enjoy my 6th USA National Title, 6th Consecutive USA World Mountain Running Team, 13th USA National Team, and 2nd Time winning the USA National Mountain Running Championships. I've worked hard but honestly I wouldn't be able to do it without my great sponsors Garden of Life, SCOTT Sports, Mio Global, Buff USA, Behive Massage Therapy, Club Northwest, and most of all those people who have supported/believed/helped me from day one. I never forgot any of them and you know who you are. Love my day ones 4life!

3 GOLD Medals


Check out the articles below along with some stories and photos of race day. Shout out to Scott Mason and Joe Viger for the great pics as usual, these guys take legendary photos that will always remain close to heart. They always seem to capture moments that have stories behind them. One photo taken by Scott captured the exact point where I made my final move for the win:

Article by Nancy H.
http://www.examiner.com/article/gray-and-arritola-victorious-at-usa-mountain-running-championships

Runners World Article:
http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-racing/gray-arritola-lead-us-mountain-running-championships?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RunningTimes-_-Content-Trails-_-TrailRacingRecap072213


http://www.coolrunning.com/results/13/nh/Jul21_USAMou_set3.shtml

Level Renner Interview Time
http://www.levelrenner.com/2013/07/21/usatf-mountain-ultra-trail-mut-national-championship-quick-report/

5 Times a charm? IAAF Article
http://www.iaaf.org/news/report/usa-sweep-medals-at-nacac-mountain-running-ch


On another note, I was able to finally make a trip that was disrupted by the heartless bombing that took place after I finished the Boston Marathon. I had planned to visit Formaggio Kitchen in Boston, but after the bombings, plans changed and the city was on lockdown. Not only was my finish bittersweet after witnessing a sad event I was also not able to satisfy my taste buds after the long 26.2. The reason this shop earned a great amount of respect from me is not completely due to their great variety of artisan foods and cheeses. Although those caught my eye initially. Before my planned visit I had spoke with a manager there (Shout out to Tim B!) about visiting their shop and about how I needed this special cheese (Dolce Gorgonzola) for a special recipe I had in mind. Of course I was not able to make the trip. At that point he could have written me and said sorry about the bad situation in the city and we hope to see you in the future. He owed me nothing not even a note. He went a step further. A step of which I will always remember and forever be grateful for. He sent me a letter along with a few chunks of the cheese I needed! Major respect to the shop with that one. You never expect customer service to really surprise you with the idea of going "above and beyond". Formaggio Kitchen did just that.

Today along with my buddy Ryan we indulged in the plethora of cheese samples around the store as well as tried out a Duck Breast sandwich which was delicious. My favorite deli/bakery/cheese shop hands down. Can you name a place that has more than 8 cheese samples FREE in-store? Before today I couldn't. I definitely look forward to my next trip to the Boston area for another visit.

No comments: