Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Next stop, USA National Mountain Running Championships

Well the snow is clearing on mountain tops, the road races are looking less appealing and the skies less hazy. I guess that means its mountain running time! This years National Championship is sure to give other countries a scary glimpse of whats to come at the World Mountain Running Championship in Slovenia this coming September. I have recently made my 5th USA National Team with my new addition being part of the North American and Central American Mountain Running Championship team to compete in Canada this summer. Looking to aid Team USA to another Gold medal at the annual Championship.

I'm looking to make my 6th team at the Nationals this year. It will be tough. A long long long list of top elites around the US plan to attend. A few are gassing themselves thinking they have a shot to win, but I will do the honors of taking the surprise away from them when they find that they are far from victory come June 19th with this simple statement, "you won't win." Unless you happen to be Rickey G. I think any talk about winning is out of the question. He is the only American as of recently to break 60 on the prestigious Mt. Washington course. On top of that you have Eric B. who has won the race in past years and ran superb times "CONSISTENTLY". Add in Luke W. & Max K. and some other runners with good strength on tough courses in my opinion and you have yourself a mix of the best the US has to offer.

I won't give my prediction on who will make the team, but I do have a few small predictions. First, I think the team assembled for the World Championship this year will no doubt be top 4 at the World Championship possibly bringing home some hardware. Second, the winner is definitely not going to run anything slower than 60:40 (if the weather permits), lastly, its probably a good bet that the team last year won't be the same group this year for the National Team. No disrespect to any of my teammates last year. This statement refers to us all on the team last year. It would be pretty bizarre if the same guys make the team again. I'm guessing that would have to be some type of USATF record....?

The European and African teams will definitely be on the lookout for the results of the USA National Championship this year. As for me, my goals are gonna be to focus on representing my country once again. God willing, this will happen! The preparation starts now, soon I head to my secret location for mountain training where the transformation will begin! Wishing all my readers a peaceful and happy week

Adios, Las montañas estan llamando mi nombre!



(Early days of my jalapeno pepper plant, look for an update on my efforts as a gardener soon!)

No comments: