Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spring Break Open 2009

Yesterday I competed in a 5k for a quick little workout/tempo. About a week before I found out what I would do for my workout this weekend I called up my buddy John Timeus to see if he would come join me so that I could have someone to run with as Mike was gone racing in California. John helped me out alot in the workout and we ran pretty good times considering the conditions. Just two days ago the weather was perfect, it was sunny and decently warm. By warm I' am giving a very biased experience of temperature as if you are from Southern California 50 degrees isn't exactly warm is it? (:

Unfortunately, for John and I we had to endure through cold, windy, and rainy conditions for 12 and a half breezy laps. The field of runners was quite large for a low key 5k race in the middle of April. Alot of DII and DIII guys came along for the ride and it made the race interesting. The lapped runners gave John and I something to race for as we started to get bogged down from the the cold rain. In the first 2.5 k I felt that the 68 second quarter pace was nothing. But, as the cold rain and wind started to freeze my upper body it got harder and harder to maintain and I could even feel my legs and arms starting to numb. By the end of the race the numbing weather eventually caused me to get off pace as I started to press the pace when I took the lead again for the win. Early on we traded off laps to help pace each other and it worked pretty good, but both of us experienced our share of frozen limbs. So, the record Tollefson created back in 1999 still stands as I was not able to touch it today. I thought I had a chance to get it but with 400 to go I needed maybe a 62 or so, and I just felt so stiff I just had to twist and pull my buddy along to the finish line. In warmer race weather I think there would be no problem going sub 60 after running 68-69 second pace the entire race but today 35 degrees mixex with rain and wind just didn't help my cause much today hahaha. Now, I'm gonna get ready for some more tough workouts this week in preparation for my 10k coming up in three weeks!!! It feels like its so far away, but like I know and all runners know, if you don't put in the work for a 10k when you have time to do it then when the race comes up you feel the race came up too soon and it feels like hell the entire race. Hopefully I can avoid this and be ready to run sub 29 this year!

Check out the results (Don't be surprised if the times look slow, temperatures were between 33-37 the whole day and rainy!!!!):

http://clubnorthwest.org/cnw09/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=I%2fhqvJ2K%2fBw%3d&tabid=77

No comments: