Sunday, January 18, 2009

First Half Marathon for the 2009 season

I just got back from Naples and I must say I really wish I could have stayed longer. The weather was so nice, skys clear with a light breeze and temperatures skirting around 75 throughout the day. I was able to meet my childhood friend while in Naples and she showed me around the town a bit and I got to see some spots I hadn't seen in prior years here.

The race, I was in better shape this year and I knew no matter what I was going to run faster. The winds and sharp turn abouts make this course a tricky one because you lose momentum quite a bit and it takes in toll on you in the final 5k when you have a gradual incline to the finish area. I started the race off a lot like last year and I found myself running with a few Kenyan and Ethiopian runners near the half way point. Also in the mix was Tibor Vegh a guy and now friend that I had raced throughout college. With about 5 miles to go I was able to pull away from the group I was running with and make my way toward the next group of runners that seemed to never really come back until the last 800 meters. By then it was too late but nevertheless it was a good pay day as I was the second American today and I also ran a PR on a windy day by a minute. I think had I ran on a flat course like Houston maybe a sub 64 would be possible, next year maybe I will give it a go to try and reach a good Half marathon PR. It will be hard to make that decision as I do love coming out to Naples and seeing the town and also meeting up with Perry the race director whom I would like to send a very big THANK YOU to. He is very supportive of elite athletes and races around the nation need more guys like him. Next up I will head to the USA 15k championships and try to place top 15 in the nation and hopefully run another PR and approach my goal time of 45:20.

No comments: