Ever show up to a race hoping to just get in a nice comfortable tempo? Don't lie, every athlete has done this before. However, how many times have you planned to do something like this and shown up to the start line with a handful of professional runners looking to crush the course THAT day?! That is exactly what happened to me. I arrived in Boulder, CO to compete in the Winter Class XC event and as I'm warming up I start to see a few familiar faces like Sean Q. and a huge group of the elite group he trains with. Then, I see another pack including an athlete who was on a World Team with me, 2 pro athletes from Team Minnesota and of course a couple of local elites. First 200 was pretty comfy phewww.
Maybe they were just looking for a tempo too? Not at all. The next 400m was uphill and the pace picked up as local Andy W. charged to the front. NOW the race had begun. The other contenders also followed suit and we were now cruising 4:40 mile pace on grass, with hills and bumpy terrain. A "REAL" cross country course. I was able to regain the lead near the end of the first lap and from there 2nd and 3rd place took turns reeling me in. On the last lap heading into the undulating portion of the race I was able to extend my lead and head into the final turn with a safe but not comfortable lead as I still had two 13:30 5k runners and the current 7 mile USA Champion within 5 seconds of me. A good result winning against a solid field. Surprising how many fast guys showed up. Any Boulder local would tell ya this is typically a small event, but not today
Secret Weapons: Mio Fuse: Strapless heart rate technology to keep my effort smooth throughout the race
Spenco Blister Kit: Protecting my feet from a blister I got wearing spikes earlier that week for the first time
Post by Brad Hudson.
For a quick recap and results checkout Colorado Runner: http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/2015/02/01/gray-thweatt-shine-advance-u-s-champs-colorado-racing-results-january-31-february-1-2015/
USA Cross Country National Championships
Secret Weapons: Beet Elite and SOS Rehydrate pre drink remedy and of course my handy Spenco Blister kits to protect the blisters from the previous week of racing
Race: From the start of the week I knew I was going to be looking at a sub par performance. In all honesty, my mountain season went a little long last year and on top of it I sprained my ankle in the last event so this left me with very little time to prepare for the XC Championships this year. On top of that, as if I already didn't have much time, I re-rolled the ankle one morning during a tempo. I would not be in my best shape and I knew this going in, but I love to compete so I threw myself out there anyway hoping to get a shot at making another USA National Team. I was really lucky my good friend and massage therapist from back home in Washington was able to get some free time and I flew her out to support me for the Championships. We were able to get some muscles loose that got a little tight over the last few weeks!
![]() |
| With Behive Massage Therapy specialist Heidi J!! |
![]() |
| Pack of animals unleashed |
This marks my 18th USA National Team. The Pan American Games is quite a special event in many ways. Personally, being that all of the America's are competing i.e. South America, North America, Canada, Central America etc, I will get to practice my Spanish a little more with the athletes in the host city of Barranquilla, Columbia as well as the athletes from nearly all of the Central American countries!! I've heard its quite a beautiful place and also a little warm like last years NACAC Championship in Tobago. The event will be VERY competitive as it also serves as the NACAC Championships, South American Cross Country Championships and many of the top names from each country plan to attend. PUMPED!!!
![]() |
| First massage coming up |
![]() |
| On my way to nabbing a spot on the Team USA Pan American Games Team |






No comments:
Post a Comment