2014's road season has finally ended for me and now the focus turns to the trails. As if the trails are ever not the focus, blah yeah right. To start off this years campaign I took a visit to my secret lair on the West side of Pike Peak up high above the clouds surrounding Southern Colorado. The first night arrived and I could remember how loud my heart pounded beneath my shirt as I sat trying to sleep at 9,400 feet. The training went extremely well, with the exception of the first day.
![]() |
| SCOTT Sports and Nike athletes coming together for one common goal.. |
I had a nice session with Nike's Trail Team member Zach M. a few days after trying to adjust to the altitude. Just when I thought I had acclimated, the last rep arrives from our workout and halfway through it I could feel my lungs hurting like never before. They were swelling up more than I have ever experienced in an attempt to find AIR. I have raced at altitude but never done a hard workout as high as we were that day. The pain seemed to worsen as we finished the last rep and came to a standstill, hands on knees, panting, searching for a speck more oxygen than the air deprived location we had ascended to.
The next days went better than expected. I tested myself on various routes deep within the Coloradan Tundra and ventured into high alpine only seen on TV shoes with characters coined as "survivors" roam. Many times in between being out of breath and muscle fatigue, I found myself in awe of the surrounding peaks and green forestry. At times I could do nothing but stop running and just stand there with a smile on my face. Smiling to ones self in the midst of a mountain may definitely sound insane, but trust me, you'd have no choice if you laid eyes on these views. Not a smile of accomplishment but one of utter shock at how beautiful our earth is.
![]() |
| SCOTT Sports makes some REAL winter gear. Very much needed this trip. Hands never felt warmer! |
Following my training expedition I dropped down to Cheyenne Mountain for a trail race I had decided I wanted to open my season with. Initially I thought I'd do the 10k, but after seeing the amazing views offered in the half marathon I opted out and went for the long haul 13.1 miles. I intended to run that far but in reality I had beaten the crew to the turn around point and ended up running a little extra. Despite the extra, say 300 meters, I was able to eclipse the course record for this new course. In 2012, they ran a much shorter course so the record was set in 2013 for the longer course and in 2014 I dropped the standard down to 1:27! The former record holder was a teammate of mine on 2 USA World Teams for Mountain Running so that gives you an idea of who shows up. Colorado can be a tricky place because you never know who will show up especially when there is money on the line. You see roadies coming out for trail races and sometimes ultra runners dropping down to race shorter distances for a challenge. Diverse groups of athletes in the Midwest/Southwest.
I wore my MIO Global Alpha once again and it saved the day, once again. I know it looks like I'm in first from the start but shortly after the click, I look down and see my heart rate had sky rocketed. I didn't even realize it! That's where a product like the MIO Alpha comes in handy. Due to nerves and excitement its quite easy to go out too hard in a race. I slowed a bit and ran within my limits and shortly after 1 mile I began to gap the field and on my way to breaking the course record. My SCOTT Race Rockets were the perfect shoe for the occasion. This particular course featured some rocky terrain and also some slick areas. Having the Race Rocket protected my forefoot from any damage it could have taken from the sharp edged rocks and also the low profile allowed me to thrive on the slippery descent! If you ever have questions just drop me a line, I love talking about shoes and I love keeping the feet/back healthy. Those are one of the many reasons I have stayed with SCOTT. I needed a company that made shoes that allowed me to train hard without foot or back issues due to footwear while also developing enough diversity to provide shoes that help me run fast when its time to race.
![]() |
| Heading up the last climb |
Want to know what's next for me???
Here is the post-race interview by Tim Bergsten of Pikes Peak Sports! Thanks Tim!!
Links is here:
http://www.pikespeaksports.us/video/joe-gray-wins-big-mountain-trail-run-half-marathon





No comments:
Post a Comment