Thursday, April 12, 2012

Squak Mountain Record Attempt

I got a few guys in the area together to take on the steep and unforgiving ascent of Squak Mountain. In attendance for the full climb we had Trey B., Kevin C., Myself, and Ryan P. who happens to be a newcomer to trail/mountain running. I took him up a few weeks ago and I was impressed with his ability to handle such a climb as a rookie.

This time around it was sunny, we had a group, and due to the recent dry spell the ground was fairly hard packed with only a few wet patches (easily avoided). I also laced up the Scott eRide Aztec 3 for the run this time to gain a little more traction on the steep climbs as well as give my foot more torsional support. This is important and many athletes overlook this aspect of comfort. Once you become anaerobically fatigued your form starts to lack and not just your arms and legs, but also foot plant and push off. I've found the Aztec 3's to be very supportive and great at guiding the foot to a sturdy landing and efficient push off once you have become fatigued to the point of poor form. Assistance in this area is something any runner can benefit from whether elite or recreational.

 The climb itself just sucks. It hurts pretty much from top to bottom. The official route of the course established will start on the service road near the postings close to May Valley Rd. The finish will be at the peak just past the first guard rail.

The RUN
For the first time I felt like I could really pull coming into the first kilometer of the climb. This first section can be tough because you can get too excited in the beginning with the flatter sections and also good footing. Then in the middle of the course you get what I like to call, "The 3 dirty camel humps". This is by far the hardest part of the ascent as prior to the "humps" you've held a fairly quick cadence.Then things change quick. I was able to get through this portion of the climb with no issues this day and made it up in a PR (unexpected) 21:10. I headed back down as I was curious to see how things were unfolding for the rookie and Kevin who happens to be an Internationally ranked Stair racer! I knew he would dominate most of us on the camel humps, but I was surprised to see Ryan just ahead of him heading into the final 400 meters. They came in close at 23:48 and 23:55. Trey was just after them in 25ish I believe

If you would like to join next time leave a comment with contact info (Will be kept private) and I will get in touch with you for the next ascent record attempt.
A photo I created a few days before the ascent. Transparent! From L-R (Joseph, Trey)


Top Times List for Squak Mountain:

1. 21:10 Joe
2. 23:48 Ryan
3. 23:55 Kev

No comments: