After setting off for New York for the 2012 USA 50k National Road Running Championships I sat there on the plane juggling a million thoughts. Some were concerns, some fears and some excitement to try something new. Haven’t raced a marathon yet, but I felt what the heck lets try 50k. I had no experience, but I figured I have had some runs close to marathon as well as a few longer mountain races that took longer than a marathon would for me. I opted out of a few large marathons this year and decided to stick my head smack in the middle of a 31.07 mile race, which featured 10 5k laps around the scenic Caumsett Park on Lloyd Harbor. During the course run through I couldn’t focus on the route much, as my wandering eyes constantly glanced over at the trails throughout Caumsett. Couldn’t help but wonder “where do those trails go”. The entire park is filled with trails and abundant wildlife from huge birds to flocks of deer. Certain areas of the park look like the Great Plains from the Midwest then as you round a curve you see the harbor and you’re quickly reminded this is New York! Home of the flat pizza, or as many New Yorkers will claim, “Home of the best pizza in America”. I’ll get back to that statement.
The Race: Woke up and got the gear situated. Started my routine, some breakfast, Raw Protein, a little Wobenzyme to help with the aches from travel and then I was off to the course. I wasn’t really nervous coming into the event even though I knew the reigning champion of the event would be awaiting me at the start line. However, he was in the lobby and the nerves started rolling in. I really had no idea what to expect. Being that it was windy and cold one would expect the race to be a bit tactical so I figured it would come down to a quick, but anyway. The shuttle left about 5 mins early so I missed my ride to the start. I was luckily taken to the race by a very nice Albany resident named Barbara who also was crazy enough to run the 50k. During the ride, I was a rookie sitting next to a veteran. Barbara has put in far more miles than I and defeated many ultras. So of course, like a rookie should do, I asked for some pointers. She was very helpful and shared a few tricks that have gotten her through ultras in her running career. I took her advice to a “T”. Except for one small decision, I surged a bit too soon…oops…ouch.
| Here with the RD Carl post-race |
| Zoom in real close on the TV screen below the Lion King Billboard. Times Square! |
Gear
- Footwear: My race shoe of choice was the Scott Race Rocker. Very minimal/light shoe with a comfortable, snug fit. The tongue of the shoe is non-abrasive so for short races you don’t have to wear socks and for long races you don’t have to worry about blisters. Light enough for those who like 5k’s, but also cushioned enough for those who like to go longer. The Race Rocker features the eRide to provide a more efficient mid-foot/heel to toe off. Over the course of 31 miles this can be very beneficial and aid in conserving energy lost in the foot plant à launch. I was stuck between the Scott T2C and the Scott Race Rocker, but in the end they both felt great and I will have another time to try out the T2C in a 50k as winning the event also qualifies me for the World 50k Championships this October in Italy
-Top: For my jersey I went with the Icebreaker Merino Wool Sleeveless Mens Lightweight Sprint Tank. I was aware that it would in fact be chilly so having my Icebreaker Merino Wool came in handy. I didn’t have to worry about taping my nipples due to chaffing as Icebreaker Merino Wool has performed well for me in cold climates without chaffing my skin.
-Watch: Mio Quest. It’s light and comfortable on the wrist. The best feature I found for this race particularly was the easy to read screen. The numbers are fairly large and the face of the watch opens wide and makes it easy to view when you start to hurt in the late stages of a race and it gets hard to focus your eyes. Nobody wants to struggle looking at their watch for splits during a race where every second counts.
Final thoughts….New York pizza is definitely great, I’d never turn it down. However, Chicago style pizza is still king in my book.

No comments:
Post a Comment