Friday, May 6, 2011

2011 Washington State Road Running Championships

Going into this year's Washington State Road Running Championships many things left me with very little confidence. The fact that I'd been injured really put a damper on me and being that I was injured training was quite a bit different this year compared to last year. I was not able to get in a good race beforehand this year so that also made me even more nervous as I approached the starting line.
This years field of elite runners grew quite a bit compared to previous years. On paper it looked as if the deepest field ever was assembled. At the end of the race, this theory held strong. In 2008 I won the Washington State Road Running Championships and the following year I was taken down and placed 2nd. I came back in 2010 to win again and this year I wanted to retain my title. I figured I was not in "PR" shape (Personal Record) this year, but training had been somewhat shocking and I really made a quick come back. So fitness was not too bad.

Once the gun went off the pack immediately dispersed. In previous years you would see a pretty big pack going into mile 1, this year the pack was thrashed by about a quarter of a mile. So it was obvious this year would be a fast one. The weather was pretty chilly earlier in the morning as I checked the weather, a crispy 34 Degrees. When the race started the temperatures shot up in the 40's. After the mile I found myself running with a few familiar faces. One, a former college teammate who is now also running pro, then there was Mike R. who I battled earlier in the year in a Snow Shoe race, right in front of me a 2:13 marathoner and next to him another guy who I'd previously lost to in this same race a few years back. I was amongst good company.

We worked together through most of the climbs leading to the 5k mark and then the pack shriveled and I was now running with Mike R. and to my surprise we were running faster than I had ever run on this course. This is where the brain started to tell me to slow down "you are not ready for this yet". Unfortunately I could not listen to brain, I had to stay strong and make sure I fought hard for the title. Once we reached the famed "Doomsday Hill" I looked back and saw that I was far ahead of the two other runners I thought before the race would be my greatest competition for the championship. This allowed me to relax and just race to the finish with the pack I was with. I was able to maintain a strong effort and win the Washington State Road Running Championship for my 3rd time! The event was great and Jon Neil did a great job hosting the elites and putting together a great crew of runners! Check out the results below:

Men's Top Washington



1.Joe Gray Newcastle, WA 36:25

2.Uli Steidl Seattle, WA 37:27

3.Steven Crane Olympia, WA 37:28

4.Kyle King Cheney, WA 37:29

No comments: