Saturday, September 11, 2010

Slovenia to Austria


I've slowly made my way across the very long country of Austria. After the race I chose to stay around the city of Kamnik in Slovenia for a little sight seeing and training at the good ole Hotel Malograjski Dvor. On the way out I caught a ride with my friend Garry and we set off for the big city in Slovenia "Ljubiana". The mission, to get chocolate and then head north to Vienna or "Wien" as you would call it in Austria. Keep in mind that in Austria the way they pronounce "V" and "W" is backwards to us Americans. For example, volley ball would be pronounced "wolley ball". It cracks me up everything I hear an Austrian, German, Swiss, or Norwegian pronounce words with V or W. I hope they don't think I'm rude, I know they laugh at me when I try to speak their languages too so we are even!

The trip to Ljubiana for the Slovenian "Sea Salt" chocolate was a success, almost a failure. We parked illegally and opted out of paying the high city parking. Instead we got a bit of a speed workout sprinting to the chocolate store then to the tourist office to figure out how to get out of the city and then beamed to the car. Moments after starting the car and removing the back tires from the top of the curb (Oops, bad idea I know) we passed two officers. Whewwww. We dodged a serious fine. The ride up to Wien was pretty nice, you pass a few valleys along the way in Slovenia and you can see glimpses of the highest mountain in Slovenia, Triglav! As you get further North on the outskirts of Slovenia Triglavs' shadows begin to hang across the country side, slowly the phantom mountain disappears and you roll across the epic, green Alps of Austria.

(Tommy and I found Snow White and 7 Dwarfs in the middle of the forest during a run, random)

After a few hours of exploring the city of Wien I randomly decided to visit an old favorite city of mine. Salzburg! I was stuck between the decision: Salzburg or Innsbruck? Both are great for training, but I was way too tired to ride the train anymore hours than Salzburg. Regardless of being tired I was able to get in some solid training, ascending Kapuzinerberg as well as Bürglstein. I really like these two mountains, especially after the World Championship the weekend before because I'm pretty tired and I don't feel like climbing an hour to reach a peak for a nice view.

After a night in Salzburg, I packed up and headed West. I'm getting closer and closer back home as I reach Dornbirn then Bregenz for the next few nights as I prepare for my last race. While in town I was able to catch up with my friends/race directors for a few Brews. Of course I had to get the local brew to accomplish my goal of trying a local brew in Austria. I was given the Mohren Bräu, popular in the Voralberg region. It's so different in Europe, imagine that, having a beer with a race director before the race even begins...only in Europe! The lifestyle I feel is much more laid back in this part of Austria. The fitness level is good and no injuries so far this summer, so I think I took care of my body and after this last effort I will take a break from running and refresh the mind and spirit. Being that I'm going into my break without being very tired and no nagging injuries I feel like continuing my racing, but I realize there is a fine line between obsession and success!


(Salzburg City)
(Statue of Mozart near the Kapuzinerberg)
(Downtown in Wien)

Until next time....Peace, Love, and Happiness!















No comments: