Saturday, July 10, 2010

2010 North American & Central American Mountain Running Championship



This weekend I represented Team USA for the NACAC Mountain Running Championship to be held in Alberta. According to some sources I was considered the favorite: (http://www.mudsweatandtears.co.uk/2010/07/07/7th-nacac-mr-champs/)
After winning last years NACAC Championship I had a huge goal this year, to repeat. In doing so I would become the first male athlete to win multiple NACAC Titles. Christine Lundy I believe holds the record for the ladies with 3!

After a short flight to Calgary, Alberta and overlooking the beautiful landscape I was excited to get into Canmore and represent for Team USA. My excitement was quickly shot down after a lengthy visit with Customs, which then turned into a longer visit with Immigration. Anyways I didn't let that hold me back, but I did lose some sleep because I missed the earlier bus out to Canmore due to my stint with security.
Some random events took place the day before the race. The course was originally planned to take off up the Nakiska mountain area, but aggressive bear activity in the area forced the organizers to shift courses late in the evening the day before the Championship. This thwarted my initial strategy, but oh well I guess we all were stuck in the same boat. More bad news filled air when the race organizers told me about Mexico not being able to compete this year due to not getting their Visa's in on time. Then to top it off, one more scare, the morning of the race more bears were found roaming the new course, which started near the Canmore Nordic area. At this point I was thinking two things, we either aren't gonna race or I'm not taking the lead until I see the finish line, CLEAR of bears. Things ended up working out, Marshall's were all over the course to protect the athletes and the bears decided to head West.

I knew for the team title we would have our hands full. Canada had many seasoned veterans on their squad compared to our young team. Heading into the first kilometer it was pretty even, everybody running within arms reach up the steep single track. Once we got into the clear it looked as if Team USA would steal the show with me leading the pack, followed by Zac and Brandon with Tim close by. A few kilometers past the halfway mark I had a peek back to see how the team was doing and also to check on a fast closing Canadian. I felt good and at this point I just knew I could seal the victory for Team USA. But wait, I didn't tell you this, due to the late course markings, nobody knew where the course actually ended or how high it went up.
All I knew was we would get to a steep section and run on it for almost a mile. Thank God it was not that long, it was STEEP and I was hurting. Once I got to the top I could really feel the thin air stealing the last bits of oxygen I had and from the way everyone was breathing at the finish I was not the only one. As I stood there awaiting the finish of my team my confidence was high. The last time I looked back and had a view of the pack, USA looked to be in the running for a solid victory. It ended up coming down to the wire with Canada edging USA by 1 point!
Canada's decorated veteran, multi-time National Champion and close friend of mine Adrian L. probably won the team title for Canada as he picked up 2-3 spots on the last climb alone. Our guys ran tough, but there is not much you can do when a team runs well like Canada did with such a small team spread.
From the pics you can see I tried out the new Talon's. I have nothing but praise for them! They felt amazing with good traction and sturdy enough to help you on the technical stuff, but light enough for the flatter areas. Honestly I think I ran ok, but the shoes did all the hard work! I enjoyed the trip to Canmore and definitely look to head back out there in the future for some traveling.......

No comments: